The Sun Prairie Police Department is pleased to announce that they will be offering a virtual Citizens Academy for 2020. Unfortunately with the COVID-19 pandemic, the department is not able to offer in person classes as in years past. However, knowing the importance of this academy, including the ability to educate the citizens of Sun Prairie on the training and mission of the Sun Prairie Police Department and its staff, along with the goal of transparency to our great community, the department felt strongly to offer this academy virtually. In partnership with the Sun Prairie Media Center, we will be able to make that happen.
The 2020 Virtual Citizens Academy will be 12 different sessions that will be aired on Wednesday nights from 7:00pm to no later than 8:30pm. These sessions will be aired on KSUN (see below for ways to access KSUN programming), and also live on the Sun Prairie Media Center’s Facebook page, allowing members of the community to chat questions in real time as the sessions are being aired on Facebook. Each one of these 12 sessions will also be available on demand on the Sun Prairie Media Center’s website (www.sunprairiemediacenter.com).
The first session is scheduled for Wednesday September 30th and the 12 session will conclude on Wednesday December 16. The scheduled sessions are as follows:
- Session 1: Introduction/District Policing – September 30th.
- Session 2: District Liaison Program/School Resource Officer Program – October 7th.
- Session 3: Mental Health Response Team/Chaplain Program – October 14th.
- Session 4: Active Threats/Use of Force – October 21st.
- Session 5: Operating While Intoxicated Enforcement/Traffic Stops – October 28th.
- Session 6: Emergency Vehicle Operations – November 4th.
- Session 7: Drug Investigations/Drug Enforcement – November 11th.
- Session 8: Violent Crimes/Crime Prevention – November 18th.
- Session 9: Building Searches/Tactical Considerations – November 25th.
- Session 10: Detective Bureau/Dispatch Center – December 2.
- Session 11: Firearms Range – December 9.
- Session 12: Community Outreach/Conclusion – December 16.
Jeff Robbins and Dan Presser from the Sun Prairie Media Center will be our two “virtual” academy students who will actively participate in the sessions and ask questions that they feel the community might ask in similar situation. They will also record the “hands on” sessions using GoPro cameras so all of our viewers in the community can get a first person perspective of what they are doing. Mara Trusty from the Sun Prairie Media Center will be producing/directing the recording of all of these sessions.
We are excited to offer this virtual Citizens Academy and looking forward to continue to engage our community so we all can live safely in Sun Prairie protected by a police department that is trustworthy and offers hope to ALL!
Ways to Access KSUN
– Charter channel 983
– TDS channels 13 in SD and 1013 in HD
– Download the KSUN app for Roku and Apple TV (you can search Sun Prairie or KSUN to find it)
– Sun Prairie Media Center app for your smartphone or tablet (search Sun Prairie Media Center in the App Store or on Google Play)
– Online at sunprairiemediacenter.com